To feed a family of 10 (We were at my in-laws tonight):
8 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed small
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 package bacon (optional, I suppose, but we sure enjoyed it!)
1/4 cup bacon drippings (grease) or olive or vegetable oil.
3 T. flour
2 t. salt (seems like a lot but it really needed it)
1 t. pepper
5 cups water
3 cups frozen corn
2 cans evaporated milk
1 cup half and half or cream
- Fry the bacon until crispy, drain on paper towels, reserving the drippings.
- Put potatoes and onions in a large, heavy stockpot, adding the bacon drippings (grease) or olive oil, if you opt out of the bacon.
- Toss potatoes and onions with the oil/drippings and cook on med-high, stirring bottom of pan often.
- Toss with flour, salt and pepper.
- Add water and cover, letting simmer until potatoes and onions are tender.
- Add crumbled bacon, corn, milk, and cream, and simmer (don't boil) until heated through.
Fresco e bello: top this soup with chopped green onions (scallions) and a grating of fresh ground pepper. And don't forget the bread or rolls to dunk into the delicious broth!